We are excited you have joined AtoZ Connect! We can assure you your directory and database creation process just got easier! Below, you will find directions how to set up your school/organizations directory and much more! Now let us walk you through some of the articles to get your database up and running. Much of what is described below is accomplished when you complete your "end of year" checklist and "start of year" checklist that senior Admins will see when they access the software over the summer and during Back to School.
Step 1 - Set up
- Update the School Settings to customize your database. This can be done at School Settings>Setup.
- Important fields to update:
- User Access - Go to the Default Values tab and update this field. Once you import your data, all parents/students will have directory access based on the default access date entered. We recommend initially giving access until the beginning of NEXT school year (October 2019 since it is currently 2018) and you can always remove access later if you decide to limit it to just a subset of your users.
- Staff Settings - Update the default access date on this page (we recommend the same date as above) and also determine if you will allow teachers to use the software to email their class.
- PayPal/Amazon set up - Go to the Shopping Cart Settings to activate the purchasing feature if you want to link your PayPal or Amazon merchant account (Amazon not live yet) and allow parents to purchase products/make donations using credit cards.
- Wizard Settings - Check the boxes to enable the Verification Wizard and the tabs you want visible in the Verification Wizard. Some tabs will automatically be turned on/off depending on the type of program you have in place with AtoZ.
Step 2 - Add Admins
- Go to to People > App Admins to add additional admins to your database. Check out the different admins levels to help select the correct admin.
- Point of Contact - You must have at least one admin marked as your point of contact (you can also have more than one). Users can contact the Point of Contact if they have questions or concerns about the directory data or access to the directory.
Step 3 - Create Products
- The software currently uses PayPal as the credit card processor and should have been set up at step 1.
- If you are using the software to collect membership dues, create a school store, accept donations, etc, go to create your Products and place in Categories. If not, skip this step.
Step 4 - Create Events
- Create events and track volunteer hours by going to Signups > Events. Click on Add New button to create your Event. Skip this step if you do not have any events to add.
Step 5 - Calendar
- Add important dates to your group calendar.
Step 6 - Digital Backpack
- Manage the Digital Backpack schedule by going to Communications > Mailing & Subscriptions Lists.
- Click the edit button next to the Digital Backpack mailing list and review the default set up.
- Upload any flyers that are available now. You can always come back to this section throughout the year and add flyers.
Step 7 - Import
- Import family data - Follow the import template and make sure you have email addresses so you can email the users their login credentials. Email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can import your data for this year. You/your room parents can also add families/students to the database. See Families for additional information.
- Grades - The import will automatically create the grades for your database. If you need to adjust, navigate to the School Settings > Grades to add, edit or delete grades.
- Teachers and staff - you can add them manually if they were not part of the import under People > Teachers Staff.
Step 8 - Organizations and Roles
- Identify your organization leaders and room parents under School Settings > Organizations and School Settings > Roles. Check out the Organizations and Roles guides to walk you through this set up.
- Room Parents - Assign parents as a Room Parent under the Roles section of the software. These Room Parents can have the ability to email, post to Digital Backpack, add and assign students to the database as well as print their class-lists.
Step 9 - Review
- Review the People section. Go to People > Family and clean up or manually add families that were not included in the import file and check the Dashboard to see if any other potential data problems may exist.
Step 10 - Send an email
- The system requires at least one Email Sender Profile is created before sending your first email. Go to Communications > Email Sender Profile and click on the Add New button to create a new profile.
- There are basic and advanced filters available in the email section that allow you to easily filter who should receive your emails. If you want to send to a different group, you can create a custom mailing list before you send an email out.
- Now you can send an Email to users to let them know they now have access to the directory. Before you send out the email to all your parents, we strongly suggest sending an email out to just 2-3 parents (friends, fellow board members, etc) to make sure you set everything up properly including any products or events you've created.
- Use one of the templates available to send your first contact email which includes the users login credentials.
Step 11 - User join Requests
- You can also provide parents a way to sign themselves up to be added to the directory if they are new to the school. See User Join Requests for more information.
Check out the other articles on our main support page that explains the other features the software offers. Feel free to reach out to email@example.com with any questions, concerns or suggestions.